Wednesday, December 3, 2008

It's Thursday here

...but it's only Wednesday night at home. We're back in Siem Reap now and getting ready to head out to see the massive temple, Ankor Wat. We're going to go by Tuk-Tuk which is a little taxi - pulled by bicycle or moto. They seat about 4 so we'll have to take 2 or 3, there are 9 of us total. We have been seeing so much!! We went fishing the other day and started laughing when I noticed there seemed to be no rods on the boat. Sure enough, the 'captain' (called Boo - which means 'uncle' - it's what you call anyone older than you - kinda a sign of respect. Women are 'Om' meaning "Aunt") pulled out empty water bottles with Fishing line wrapped around them. We just had to bait the hook and drop the line and then if something bit, we had to pull the string in by hand. We caught about 15 or so and grilled them up on a little island and had them for lunch. Doesn't get any fresher than that.

No other strange foods yet. Lots of noodles and rice. Every place we had breakfast had at least fried rice to offer - the other day I had noodle soup for breakfast (Pho Soup for all of you noodle bowl fans!) It's what they traditionally eat for breakfast so I had at it!! Neang - Tyler's Cambodian Aunt - said that I am really embracing the culture. She doesn't know how much I love Pho Soup!!! :) Stopped at KFC for lunch yesterday :) It was kinda nasty actually. Seems they really like dark meat here so all of the chicken is dark. A little too greasy for me too.

Had my breakfast this morning with Uncle Bruce's parakeet sitting on the table trying to eat my peanut butter. It's a different world. :) I'll write more later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're having a great time!